Saturday, June 15, 2013

Butterfly Romper


I've been wanting to make a romper for a long time, but hesitated because I thought it would be too much trouble at potty time.  But after Elegance and Elephants released their latest pattern, the Pleated Playsuit, I knew I had to make at least one.  It looked so adorable and was FREE!  


I still didn't make the romper right away because I was in skirt making mode for Skirt Week.  But skirts seem to be out right now and rompers/shorts are in!  Romper Week starts this week at Sewing Mama Raeanna and Shorts-on-a-line has started already (hosted by Imagine Gnats and Small & Friendly).  On top of that, Calia Made is running a series right now called the Best of Summer Series where bloggers review patterns they love and inspire others to try them.  So many reasons to try this pattern rather than worry about whether a romper is functional.


This romper turned out cuter than I could have imagined!  The pockets are so cool!  I love the faux piping made from the pocket lining and the sizing of them are actually functional.  So many pockets on kids clothes barely have enough room for their hands.



The one thing I changed up from the pattern is the straps - I decided the butterfly pattern would be complimented by some ruffle sleeves and that the elastic straps would be easier for her to get on and off by herself.  To make the straps, I cut two pieces of 1/4" elastic to 6.5" and two 13" x 3"strips of fabric.  I pressed one side of the strip down 1/4 ", then rolled it another 1/4", pressed and topstitched.  The other side of the strip I pressed down 1/4", rolled it another 1/2", then pressed and topstitched to form a casing for the elastic.  Repeated the same on the other strip.  After threading and securing the elastic, I then followed the pattern as instructed.  The pattern is very well done!  I messed up a couple times, but that was because I was sewing past my bedtime.





She actually couldn't wait to get this on!  I was so surprised that I didn't have to bribe her.  I also think this is the longest she's ever stood still to get a photo taken.  She thinks they're "so cute mommy".  Ha, love it.  Oh, and potty breaks are not slowed down by these rompers (phew), so I'm going to be busy making some more!


 
 
 


also linked at:
125

6 comments:

  1. Oh man!!! Now I have another idea to use with this pattern! I love butterfly sleeves and they are PERFECT with this pattern! Thank you for the measurements! Your daughter is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, next time I'll probably add a couple inches to the fabric length for more ruffle!

      Delete
  2. Great change up! I'm going to have to try that! -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sleeves! The fabric is also great! Thanks for sharing.

    Get Your Crap Together

    ReplyDelete